Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Books Smooks

For the latter half of 2010 I could not read. Not in a literal sense of course, but for some reason whenever I tried to start reading a new book I would find my mind drifting off to other things and then I would realise that I had been reading the words off the pages but not taking them in really. So from the start of this year I decided to jump back on the band wagon and start immersing myself into this amazing world of literature we have available at our fingertips.

So now, in chronological order, lets take a look at what I have been reading this year. I was going to write a little synopsis about each book, but figured that could be just as easily obtained from Wikipedia, so have instead opted for my brief opinion- I would love to hear everyone elses opinion if you have read them. Also if anybody has any good (or preferably great) book suggestions for me, I am all ears?



IT - Stephen King

This was the first Stephen King book I have actually read, I really enjoyed the coming of age type story through it, but the ending was terribly over the top and unnecessarily complicated.

Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro

My sister had kind of talked this book up a lot before I read it, so I was expecting a lot from it but was left feeling a little unsatisfied. Nice, simple story to follow and quite heartfelt in parts, but for some reason I found some of the characters kind of irritating, which made it harder for me to feel empathetic towards them.

Things The Grandchildren Should Know - Mark Oliver Everett

It was straight forward and easy enough to devour for an autobiography. I found that Mark Oliver Everett kind of repeated a lot of his stories in different ways throughout it though which got a little tedious to read by the end.

Everything Is Illuminated - Jonathan Safran Foer

Definitely the best book I have read in a while- It was funny, sad and beautiful all in one. I really liked the historical aspect to the story as well. Very nice!


12 comments:

  1. nice little reviews :) thanks Feeona

    ReplyDelete
  2. well It was ok; the other si have not read tho will endeaver to at some point in time maybe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have really enjoyed Cecelia Ahern´s and Torey Hayden´s books. And of course Jane Austen´s beautiful and funny tales:)

    xxPiia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog - made my day - thanks feeona :O)
    A xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this - I'm in need of some new books. I think I'll definitely try 'Everything is Illuminated.'

    My recommendation - A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, by Dave Eggars. My favorite book, by far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recommend Wetlands by Charlotte Roche *snigger, snigger* no, I'm kidding, don't read it - it's horrendous
    Cashy xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. i know i enjoyed 'Everything is Illuminated' im just trying to remember what its about lol...is that the one with the dog?autistic boy?jld

    i had to read a book at uni called 'Bridie's fire' and found it an interesting read, that made my feel like i dont always appreciate everything in my life

    ReplyDelete
  8. oops more like 'A young Jewish American man endeavors to find the woman who saved his grandfather during World War II in a Ukrainian village, that was ultimately razed by the Nazis, with the help of an eccentric local.' dont know what that other book is im thinking about lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read the book but I have seen the movie and I completely agree the ending for It was over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh I really want to read Everything Is Illuminated, I'll definitely check it out :)
    The best book I read recently was When God Was A Rabbit, which came out a few weeks ago. It was so, so lovely. Really beautiful. Other 'modern' books I like are The Book Thief, The Secret History, The Year Of The Flood and ohhh the list could go on. I'm a particular sucker for Young Adult & Childrens fiction of any kind, I lap that stuff up :) but I'm a bit of a literature nerd - I love all the classics like Tolstoy and Thoreau and Wilde and what have you xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mum has told me about Never Let Me Go she really likes it! I haven't read it yet though but that is the trouble with some peoples recommendations you have higher expectations

    Thanks for your comment x

    chloe-mia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The most amazing book in the world to me at the moment is The Secret Lives of People in Love by Simon Van Booy. My honey bought it for me in Strand book shop when we were in New York last year, it still sleeps next to me. He has also written Love Begins in Winter and Everything Beautiful Came After. They are truly amazing, I want everyone in the world to read them. He also wrote the script to this short film, it only goes for a little over 10 minutes but will give you an idea of how beautifully he writes. Hope you love it.
    Here is the link

    http://www.beautiful-books.co.uk/blog/2011/03/simon-van-booy-poppy-de-villeneuves-short-film-in-full/

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for your comments- they brighten up my day (-: